My first time in Japan (part 2)

… After karaoke we went to see another set of Ken’s friends. He has so many friends!

It was a night that was filled with playing games that involved taking shots. Of course I was able to get his friends to take more shots by saying they were presents from Canada. It was really interesting to play Japanese drinking games as they were a lot different than I expected. Ken’s friends seemed like nice and cool people although again communication was hard for me. The night ended with us watching a scary Japanese movie. I forgot the name but it was something about a cellphone. It was lots of fun, but that night really messed up my sleeping schedule as I stayed up all night.

As the sun came in the morning we headed for the train. This was the first time I had been gone home after staying out all night in Japan. Just like ants to a sugar cube swarms of people headed to the station as well eager to catch the first train. It is definitely not the same as Canada. Although trains go everywhere and are a lot better than in Toronto they only run until around 1:30, and once you missed the last train you only other option is a taxi, which is VERY expensive. A 5 minute ride is around 7-10 dollars.

Getting breakfast in the hotel was also a very interesting experience. It was buffet style so basically I ate whatever I could find. The first day Ken asked my to bring some food up but I wasn’t allowed so I decided to eat by myself.

This was the first time I encountered nato.

It was brown, sticky and looks like Rice Krispies after you mix it in with marshmallows. Of course in my mind I thought that it was going to be sweet and delicious, but when I tried it, it tasted nothing like I thought it would. The texture was slimy not sticky and the smell was very strong. After a few bits I decided not to finish it. Seeing the difference in Japanese breakfast was also interesting there were things like rice and curry, which would only be eaten at dinner time in Canada. Other than the nato everything else was really delicious.

The next few days were filled with lots of traveling and sightseeing. We went to Kyoto, Tokyo Skytree, Shizuoka, and Haneda airport.

Kyoto is a little bit of a long story so I think I will leave it for another post. Tokyo Skytree was amazing that was were I had the conveyor belt sushi. It was filled with so many little shops and restaurants. The tower a obviously very high but we decided not to go up. It looks just like the CN in Toronto and there are also a lot of high and free observation decks in Tokyo. The next day was filled with nice trip to Asakusa.

スライドショーには JavaScript が必要です。

If you ever get to go to Japan I would definitely recommend it. The place is makes you feel as if you have jumped into a time machine and traveled back to the edo period. With a hug and beautiful shrine as we all many different shops and interesting but scary looking statues, the place will leave you in awe. Having been there 3 times I can say everytime you go there it is something new.

Back to my first time in Japan though. It was really break taking as I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t really plan anything before I went so it was nice as I had no expectations. It rained a little while we were walking around but not too much as to end the sightseeing early. Although it wasn’t a very look stay as we had to get up early the next day.

Ken’s brother Yuta took us on driving adventure. That was the first time I got to see Mount Fuji. Although when we went it was winter time so I couldn’t climb it. I didn’t feel like i missed out on anything though because I have a sever fear of heights. After looking at Mount Fuji from we headed to parliament and also went to Haneda airport. While we were heading there I was lucky enough to see the rainbow bridge. It is called that rainbow bridge because it changes colour throughout the night. Once we arrived at Haneda, I was able to see a wonderful winter that had a choir and eat amazing udon.

Ken’s brother took us to one of his favourite udon restaurants which was located at the airport. It was the first time I can remember eating udon and it was delicious. Everyone’s looked so good that I wish I could have eaten 4 different bowls but of course I only had one. The airport was also decorated spectacularly. There were Christmas lights everywhere.

Seeing illumination in Japan for the first time didn’t really phase me. I just thought that they had pretty Christmas lights. However the next winter I went to Japan I realized what a big deal it was, and how much effort they put into setting up their Christmas illumination festivals.

I guess I still have a lot more to write as I was there during New Years day… so that mean part 3…..TBC


以下に詳細を記入するか、アイコンをクリックしてログインしてください。 ロゴ アカウントを使ってコメントしています。 ログアウト /  変更 )

Google+ フォト

Google+ アカウントを使ってコメントしています。 ログアウト /  変更 )

Twitter 画像

Twitter アカウントを使ってコメントしています。 ログアウト /  変更 )

Facebook の写真

Facebook アカウントを使ってコメントしています。 ログアウト /  変更 )


%s と連携中